Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Taken.

Today on campus I went to the sugar and spice as ush, and I saw a little flier that said this:

"BYU Free the slaves

Panel Discussion on Human Trafficking

The Question:

Can human trafficking be eradicated?

Come join the discussion and hear what the experts think!

THURSDAY MARCH 31st
5:30 PM 3106 JKB "

Now ever since I came home from my mission and my mother made me watch THIS movie, I have been fixated on eradicating human trafficking.

It is a huge problem in the world right now, even here in the United States, and especially in Europe and Asia. Millions of woman and children every year are captured and sold into sex slavery that do not make it out alive. In the US, craigslist has been reported as the number one source to blame for successful underground child exploitation. When the women/children are taken captive, they are immediately put on high dosages of highly addictive drugs to keep them sedated and from fighting back or running away. Once they are addicted, they cannot escape. They are forced to see hundreds of customers in a week, not seeing even a single penny from their earnings. These women are literal slaves in a corrupt underground market that is being run in countries all over the world. Most victims die within the first month of drug overdose, and don't make it more than four years due to aids. However, some women have survived or escaped to tell their story. If you can stomach it, look up MTV's EXIT campaign. When I think of these women, I cannot just sit back and do nothing!!!! I want to do something to help, but I don't know what. I have some friends that feel strongly about the subject too, and therefore we are going together to take a stand. Thursday at 5:30. Let me know if you want to come too!!

No comments: