Monday, March 28, 2011

indian lover.

I want to declare to you right now that I have a small obsession with all things american indian. I love Pocahontas. That's my fave disney movie. I have dream catchers in my room and feather earrings. When I was younger my mom bought me this little box of "worry people". They are little matches that are made to look like little people and when you put them under your pillow while you sleep, they take your worries away :) And when I was young you could find me out in our huge back yard shafting my leaf raking responsibilities and dancing around with the rake making indian calls and doing a rain dance. You can see why I like native american stuff right? Just so cool.

Newho, one of the things that I love about native americans is their jewelry. If you truely know me, you know that I am obsessed with jewelry. I have boxes and boxes of it. I make it. I buy it. I just get it from everywhere. And one of my traditions is that I have to buy a piece of jewelry from every single place that I travel. Now don't go thinkin that I have a room full of million dollar jewelry because that is NOT the case. Some of the things I have bought cost as little as $5, or I find some great beads and make a sweet sweet bracelet when I get home. Here's some of my stuff:
coral beads from france

bracelet that I bought on the beach in italy

earrings from China

handmade ring from London

turquoise stones found in Mexico


Well, you could probably say that I am obsessed with all kinds of jewelry, but I am especially obsessed with Turquoise. I love the color....it is my favorite color and my curtains down to my ipod cover are turquoise. One time my mom bought me a tiffany bracelet that she saved up to buy me when I turned 21 because I turned into a "real" lady then :) and I liked the box as much as the bracelet. And my sister stole the box and the little leather bag that it came in while i was gone!!!!!! Oh the humanity of it!! Well, this weekend at BYU there was a native american craft fair. My sister told me about it seeing as she knows i love ALL things native american and ALL things turquoise. And I just couldn't resist myself! I picked this little guy up and It's SO BEAUTIFUL!

And this ring is real! And not even that expensive :) I just love love love this stone! I love the color and the textures of it and all the different shades that it comes in. Its just the most gorgeous thing to me. No wonder the indians are obsessed with this stuff too. They say that it has magical powers, just like JADE which happens to be my next favorite stone :)

No comments: