Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Emily {e-mi-lee} N.

This is the name that my mother gave me. And do you want to know that sometimes i do not feel like an Emily? Lots of people-when they forget my name, they call me Ashley. I really look like an Ashley. But luckily my mom did not name me that because I am not too fond of Ashleys usually. I've never had one close friend named Ashley, which is really saying something considering the popularity of the name. I can't even think of one person right now named Ashley that will read this blog, so it's ok if I say that. But do you ever search your own name in like google or something? I did that today while I was procrastinating and this is what I found.

The name Emily has the following meaning:

"One who is hardworking and industrious. This name has topped the US top 1000 charts in recent years. Extremely popular."

I couldn't agree more. I am DEF hardworking considering all the facebook stalking and blogging I do every day! WHEW. Its hard to be me LET ME TELL YA. And I could be considered industrious. I sell things on ebay sometimes.

Ok with the jest out of the way, I actually do consider myself a very hardworking person. Sometimes too hardworking to be honest. Which is why I cannot understand why I keep desecrating my name, which is 'extremely popular' by the way, because I cannot just get over my senioritis when i'm not even graduating yet, and get my stuff DONE. Tonight I was working on some Chinese homework that was due two weeks ago. I have to sing in a recital on saturday. I haven't practiced since Thursday. I forgot to register for my block class before the deadline passed, and now it is up against a review board to see if they will consider letting me add it or not. I lose my cell phone at least twice a week. And I often show up to work 5 min late because I wake up late and throw my clothes on before taking one quick glance in the mirror. BYE BYE diligence, good grooming, and punctuality.

"Emily is currently a popular baby name, with a recent overall USA popularity ranking of 1 out of 1000 (source: 2000s U.S. Census)"

According to this site, one out of every 1,000 people in the US is named Emily. Or something like that. That means that out of the 32,000 students at BYU, there should only be 32 Emily's.

Yes I did look this up. When the name "Emily" is searched in the BYU directory, 16 pages come up. Each page has 30 people on it except for the last. I got out my calculator cause numbers hurt my brain and figured out that there are 466 Emilys total here at BYU (467 If you include Emileigh, who is the only Emileigh at this school BTW-lucky). HOLY guacamole everyone and their MOM has this name! I think this might be the most popular name at this whole school, even compared to Ashleys (a mere 336). Now, I guess this is BYU. So at least someone has to be hardworking and industrious, and its not me! So I've got 466 other people out there pullin' the weight for me :) good work girls.

But seriously sometimes I don't know how I feel about how common my name is. And weirdly enough, when I look at the mirror, I don't feel like an Emily. I don't see it. Not that I don't like it. I mean its cute! Its fresh and has that nice sing song quality to it. Like triplets (the notes, not children). I don't know why some days I think I should have been named Summer. Or Claire. But definitely not Jessica because I don't like common names and I just searched that one and there are 570! Whew ok Emilys are still somewhat original. Bottom line: I am not naming my child after me. That makes it sound like I already have a child....i mean my unborn non existent child that is in heaven waiting for me to suck it up and get hitched and make some babies. I want him/her to have a good strong, original name. Like Rainbow or Strawberry or Hermione or something. I dunno just something cool. Maybe i'll name all of my children after Harry Potter Characters!! YES! I like this idea already. and now it is late and I am rambling.

Peace!

em

1 comment:

Brittany and Tyler Clark said...

You are such a good writer :)