Saturday, August 23, 2008

Here's to self expression

My soul is an ocean. The edges of it lap longingly against the soft sand, wishing to spread further into the earth. When i step into it carefully, dipping my toes into the water, it is shallow and clear turquoise. Coral and abalone shells decorate its shores, giving it beauty and suggesting that i could walk across it ankle deep without sinking under. This shore is void of marine life, which leaves me hoping for more. More life and substance that comes from movement. As i continue to wade, the water becomes a richer shade of crystal blue and all of a sudden i am swimming, my head rising just above the surface, and i am surrounded by crashing waves, and pockets of warmth, and sea creatures of all colors, shapes and sizes. And i feel the sun lightly kissing my skin, and the melodic movement of the water soothing me into a trance like sleep. And i realize that this soul needs to be deep, but tucks the depth away for me to find should i choose to explore it. But my soul cannot hide its magnitude because without depth, it ceases to exist.
My ocean longs to be vulnerable so that it can embrace the storms of the sea and the hateful actions of humans that must surely come. But my ocean has trouble with this....it wants to suck its moisture down into the earth while the turmoil rages. But it can open itself and welcome the waves if it tries. My ocean is my self expression.. And some will mock it, some will hate it, and some will love it and respect it. But i feel an intense need to express myself, and this blog helps me do that. I write to express whats inside of me trying to get out. And opening my ocean to the void for anyone to read makes me vulnerable to scrutiny of the world. My life without risk is empty.

No comments: