Saturday, July 3, 2010

the battle with the window

Today it rained....ALOT. And it couldnt make up its mind. Really hard pounding rain, sunshine, pounding rain, little wispies, lots of clouds making you think its clearning up, then pounding rain again. Luckily i still got the see the fireworks after the ranger game.....caues SOMEBODY would have had to bite that bullet. i LOVE fireworks.
But the rain reminded me of a story from my mission that i want to tell you. Since thats all that i really have thats meaningful to talk about these days lol.
In HK (really pronounced H.K....thats what the cool kids call it :) ) there are typhoons. A typhoon is like a rain cloud thats all built up from the waves of the ocean and stuff, and when it moves over HK it will rain ALOT and and very high winds and speeds. yes this is my legit definition. neways typhoons mostly happen in the summer, when its SOOO hot that you can feel sweat dripping sun up to sun down. And showering doesnt seem to help because after, the hot water just kind of sticks to you....and you dry off and dry off but it just doesnt work. And your clothes go on all sticky because of the humidity. But God throws you a typhoon every once in a while....just to shake things up. But i only experienced one big one.

last summer while all of you were having summer flings and eating snowcones and going to the pool, i was in HK with my chinese companion. Her name is Sister Tsui (CH-OY). Just say it however you want because its too hard to say it right anyways :) Shes a little asian girl that loves stuffed animals and spongebob, and she kinda looks like me, just asian. We lived together just the 2 of us during the summer. Luckily we are really great friends. On the 4th of july i told her i really wanted to celebrate. She said...."Why?" i said.....because i need to celebrate my countries freedom! she said "ok whatever. lets go get SUSHI!!!" so that was our celebration. My chinese 4th of july with china Tsui And i cut up a watermelon when we got home and hummed the national anthem as i cut. It was one of those little baby watermelons that only like 2 ppl can eat anyways, and Tsui doesnt like watermelon. So This was my own little tribute to my own heritage....which was slowly slipping from me.

One night we came home, and there was a sign raising the alert of 'LEVEL 10 TYPHOON', which is the highest level. All the windows had tape X's on them, as if that will protect them from being blown out by the wind lol. If its 8 or above, we cant even leave the house. But we had to sleep at 11 anyways, so i didnt think anything of it. Then at 2:15 am i woke up and the windows were rAtTlInG and everything was sHhhhhAkInG and water was literally pounding on the walls. Me and my companion woke up at exactly the same time.
Tsui: do you hear that?
ME: WHAT IS IT?
Tsui: I'm scared! We are going to die!!!! come over here!!!!
So i went and crawled into her bed and we huddled under the covers all scared together.....and THEN we heard this huge CRASHHHHHHHHHHHH that came from the back office.
And i jumped up, ran back there, and turned on the light only to see that the wind and smacked open the window and water was POURING in, and all of our desk stuff and other stuff was on the floor getting soaked. So i ran up to the ledge infront of the window and put my hand out to pull it back closed, but the wind was too strong. So i put my hand out behind the hinge to try to push it closed, but after i got it a little ways, but then the wind suddenly SNAPPED BACK, and it almost cut off my hand between the hinge and the window edge. And I screamed AHHHH and looked down and my clothes and i was soaked head to toe, and i yelled "i CANT BELEIVE I AM DOING THIS RIGHT NOW! I CANT BELIEVE I AM IN CHINA IN A TYPHOON DEALING WITH THIS AT 2AM." and my companion was laughing hysterically at me declaring my disbelief that this was my life. the battle with the window in china. With a little chinese girl laughing her head off at me. Have you ever felt like your life was so crazy it just couldnt be real? because this was my whole life for 1.5 years. And i miss it so much. Making the drive from the airport back to my house here was so surreal. I felt like i had just had a bizzare dream where i went to china and learned chinese and changed the world.....and then....i woke up.

3 comments:

Cindy T. said...

heyy Emememeeelee,,your just as crazy as the Sister M that I always know. Hahah,this bloggring brings lots of laughters to me. I can totally imagine how awkward you were during yr fight with the crazy typhoon xD
How's life after mission? Are you studying music?singing?piano or so? I hope you enjoy it =)

PS. I hope this's not a nightmare for you during that 1.5 yrs. btw i met "Tsui"[I prefer calling her Yiu Yiu/Tsui Hong Hong xP] again in the Open Day of the new chapel in Kowloon Tong(it's right opposite to the temple). We definitely miss each other so terribly and took lots of awesome pics :) We hope you're here too!
And we had fireside on the next day,, Elder Crowder's leaving...he's gonna die too:P And the dying missionaries sang for us,,Amazing Grace. What a amazing song~~You can check out the pics that we took on these 2 days on fb!!
btw, Misty's sister, Katy and her husband're going to be baptised!! What a happy news :)
Talk to you later, love ya~~❤
Cindy xx

emily marie said...

cindy!!! thanks for your comment! i cant believe that mistys sister is getting baptised! that made my day love ya :)

emily marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.